Saturday, December 18, 2010

Favorite Christmas Books

1. On Christmas: Poems, Essays, and Stories by G.K. Chesterton
2. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
3. Corrie’s Christmas Memories by Corrie ten Boom
4. Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon
5. No Holly for Miss Quinn by Miss Read
6. Village Christmas by Miss Read
7. The Gift of the Magi and Other Stories by O. Henry
8. Christmas Bells and Other Poems by H. W. Longfellow
9. Texas Night before Christmas by James Rice
10. The Fourth Wiseman by Henry van Dyke
11. Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this list! I began collecting Miss Read books years ago after reading an article about her in World magazine. Now I'm thinking that it was you who wrote that article. Am I right? If so, thank you. I've spent many wonderful hours reading her books. (I really like your other recommendations here, too.)

Susan

gileskirk said...

Susan: I have no idea if World has done more than one Miss Read review, but I did indeed write about her books several years ago. She was such an incredible writer--and one of the chief inspirations for Jan Karon.

Caleb said...

Mr. Grant: I found your blog recently and have been enjoying it.

Excellent Christmas reading list. Two of my annual reads are on your list (Dickens and O. Henry). But you've given me some ideas to pursue in the coming years. Thank you.

wsensing said...

What a great list! New Christmas books to read! Here is our all time favorite Christmas book that has truly changed the way we celebrate: "Christmas Spirit!".