Thinking about the "Five Solas of the Reformation," on this eve of Reformation Sunday, I couldn't help but also think of the reformational way Thomas Chalmers has shaped my thinking about life, grace, mercy, the Scriptures, and the beauty of the faith that the magisterial reformers bequeathed to us.
It struck me that like them, Chalmers' influence has also produced a list of "solas." This is my first feeble attempt to somehow codify those "solas."
- Only the Triune God is truly holy.
- Only His holiness can offer grace.
- Only His grace can bring forth faith.
- Only faith bears the fruit of love.
- Only love produces hope.
- Only hope gives way to obedience.
- Only obedience results in service.
- Only service manifests mercy.
- Only mercy makes for justice.
- Only justice establishes peace.
- And, only peace can flower into Christian culture.